Here were the physical visualizations I came up with in class. I tried a few methods to display activity levels over the span of a month, a week, or a day. Being physical with the visualization made it easier for me to iterate rapidly. Also, I enjoyed working with my hands to create concepts. I found that this method of brainstorming helped me come up with ideas quickly and made me feel freer with my forms which led to more creative interpretations of data.
(3/2) Deliverable 1: Exploration with 1 Typographical Elements
This week we did an exercise on exploring the range of typographic variables that can be used. We isolated line spacing, stroke weight, and tabs to emphasize or deemphasize certain parts of a body of text.
I chose “Pittsburgh Arts and Lectures” as my topic. Below is an example of what I think was a more successful poster (left-hand side, LHS) and a less unsuccessful poster (right-hand side, RHS) at conveying the content of the text.
Target Population and Context: a young adult volunteering for a community food bank
(2/4) Team Meeting
In this meeting, we split up how we were going to divide the work for research. Since 3 of us (Tai, Gil, and Remi) are in Pittsburgh, they were going to go volunteer at a food bank in Squirrel Hill. This way, they can participate in observation, participation observation, and fly-on-the-wall observation.
I am in California right now so I was planning on doing more online research by looking into newspaper articles, signing up for food bank volunteering, taking surveys, and looking for online…